This got me thinking…if this is how I pack for a 9 day trip to the beach, how in the world am I going to pack for my trip around the world? Lugging my roller around made me realize that there is no way I can carry this much weight on my back for 10 months. And upon my return, (shocker alert!) I didn’t even end up wearing half of the clothes I brought. Time to get serious about my itemized packing list.
Luckily I stumbled across another fantastic blog by The Friendly Giraffe on how to pack smarter for your trip. Granted, she is referring to her honeymoon, not a year long trip, but I think most of the tips apply. Here are a few of my own lessons learned as well…
1) You do not need to bring more than 1 bathing suit and 1-2 pairs of running clothes…These things can be washed pretty easily in the sink or shower using a little detergent or even shampoo and hung out to dry
2) You do not need 18 pairs of shoes ladies! running sneakers, flip flops (beach and/or shower), and 1 nice pair of sandals or flats….This especially goes for the beach, lets be honest you are not going to need heels, girls who wear heels to the beach just look silly, not to offend, but you do.
3) If you are going on a 9 day vaca, you do not need 10 shirts. Again, this especially goes for a summer/beach trip. You know there are going to be at least a few days that you are in your bathing suit and/or cover up almost all day. And unless you are a total mess you can probably get away with wearing the same shirt twice.
4) So you know you are going to go out somewhere nice once or twice during your trip. If like me your nights out are in different locales (AC and DC) you can probably get away with wearing the same dress twice. I brought 4 dresses…Why! Also, coordinate with those nice sandals or flats from tip #1 so you don’t have to pack additional shoes.
5) Invest in those little 3oz bottles used for flight regulations, even if your not flying they will save so much space and make your bag a lot lighter.
I will be using these tips for packing for my upcoming trip to Key West! Its only 4 days and I plan on only bringing a small duffel.